Early years inclusion funding and High Needs Matrix
The SEND (Special Educational Needs and Disability) Code of Practice sets out clear guidance to early years settings and schools on the process for appropriate identification, monitoring and securing further support for children with SEN.
It is estimated that under 1 per cent of children will need additional support within an early years setting if their needs are to be met. Each provider has ultimate responsibility for ensuring that this provision is made.
In Herefordshire, we recognise that it is challenging for early years settings to meet the needs of some children with significant and/or complex needs. The Early Years Inclusion Grant was introduced to help these settings. The grant provides a contribution towards additional support for children.
High Needs Matrix funding tariffs
Expected funding amounts following assessment.
|Tariff group||Assessment points||Tariff amount per term||Tariff amount per year|
Funding can be agreed for one, two or three terms at a time depending on circumstances. It is paid termly.
It is the responsibility of the setting to keep track of funding and re-apply if appropriate before the funding period runs out.
Applying for the Early Years Inclusion Grant
View and download guidance and the relevant documents to use when applying for the Early Years Inclusion Grant below:
- Requesting Early Years Inclusion Funding
Describes who is eligible and how and when to apply
- Application form to present at Early Years Inclusion Grant panel
- Guidance on presentations to Early Years Inclusion Grant panel Use this to help prepare your case for the panel meeting
- Inclusion funding panel dates
- Early Years High Needs Matrix Sets out the areas where provision is to be made from the setting's own resources and areas for which you can seek additional funding
- Appendix - using the High Needs Matrix, including tariff
- Revised Early Support Developmental Journal - You will find this profile document useful for tracking the progress of children with SEND and it will help you set appropriate targets