English as an additional language
Herefordshire's English as an additional language (EAL) pupils are culturally very diverse, speaking a wide range of first languages including Portuguese, French, Russian, Malayalam, Latvian, Cantonese, Tagalog, Chinese, Arabic, Polish, Lithuanian and Hungarian. The main languages spoken are Polish, Lithuanian and Malayalam.
We can provide specialist EAL advisory teachers and teaching assistants who work with school staff to help EAL pupils develop their English and access the curriculum.
We also provide EAL resources for loan.
We help schools to:
- Provide effective learning opportunities for EAL pupils
- Value and celebrate diversity
- Value, maintain and develop the home languages of EAL pupils
- Ensure inclusion and access for EAL pupils
- Review EAL pupil progress, highlighting those pupils at risk of underachievement or in need of further assessment to identify their special educational needs
- Ensure mainstream staff have access to in-service training in relation to linguistic diversity
Download translated documents for use in early years, including our maintaining first language guide for parents.
|Event||Date and time||Venue||Description||How to book|
For further information on the services and support available, please contact: Catherine Shaw, Team leader for English as an additional language on firstname.lastname@example.org or 01432 260878.