Have you had your flu vaccine yet?
Free NHS flu vaccinations are being offered to all eligible groups from October 2017 and we are encourage those residents to get their free flu jab this autumn. The flu jab is an annual one-off vaccine, which changes every year to fight the latest strains of flu, so even if you had a jab last winter, you need another one this year to stay flu safe!
Adult flu vaccine
Please don't underestimate flu and the impact it can have on those who are most vulnerable. Make an appointment today, if you are in one of the following groups:
- 65 years or over
- Have certain medical conditions
- Living in a long stay residential care home or other care facility
- Receiving a carer's allowance or are the main carer for an elderly or disabled person whose welfare may be at risk if you fall ill
- Health and social care staff - if you are employed by a registered residential care or nursing home or registered domiciliary care provider and you are directly involved in the care of vulnerable patients or clients who are at increased risk from exposure to influenza. You'll need to prove you're eligible with an ID badge or recent pay slip (showing both your name and your employer's). Contact your community pharmacy or GP practice to check they are providing the service before attending.
You can receive the flu injection free of charge from either your GP or one of the local participating community pharmacies below:
- Rowlands Pharmacy - 35 High Street, Bromyard HR7 4AF
- Colwall Pharmacy - Fletton House, Walwyn Road, Colwall WR13 6QG
- Asda - Belmont Road, Hereford HR2 7JE
- Boots - 12-13 High Street, Hereford HR4 9AA
- Chave and Jackson - 6-7 Broad Street, Hereford HR4 9AE
- Day Lewis Pharmacy - 96 Grandstand Road, Hereford HR4 9NR
- Lloyds Pharmacy - King's Street, Hereford HR4 9BW
- Lloyds Pharmacy in Sainsbury's Store, Barton Yard, Hereford HR4 0AG
- Morrisons - In-store pharmacy, Station Approach, Hereford HR1 1DN
- Rowlands Pharmacy - Gorsty Lane, Hereford HR1 1UN
- Taylors Pharmacy, St Owen's Street, Hereford HR1 2JB
- Tesco - Tesco in-store pharmacy, 1 Fryzer Court, Bewell Street, Hereford HR4 0BW
- Tesco - Tesco Stores, Abbotsmead Road, Belmont Hereford HR2 7XS
- Rowlands Pharmacy - 42 High Street, Kington HR5 3BJ
- Day Lewis Pharmacy - 2 Sear House, Bye Street, Ledbury HR8 2AA
- Boots - 18 Corn Square, Leominster HR6 8LR
- Westfield Walk Pharmacy - Westfield Walk, Leominster HR6 8HD
- Boots - 5 Market Place, Ross-on-Wye HR9 5NX
If you are not in an eligible group, but would still like to receive the vaccination, some community pharmacies provide vaccinations privately. It will cost in the region of £5 to £14 depending on the pharmacy. To find out more, contact your nearest pharmacy.
Children's flu vaccine
To help protect children against flu the annual nasal spray flu vaccine (no needles) is offered free on the NHS to:
- Children aged two and three on 31 August 2017 - that is, children born between 1 September 2013 and 31 August 2015
- Children in reception class and school years one, two, three and four
- Children aged 2 to 17 with long-term health conditions
To find out more about which children are eligible and who will provide the vaccination, please visit the NHS Choices website.
The flu vaccine cannot give you flu!
The injected flu vaccine contains inactivated, or killed, strains of the flu virus and therefore cannot cause flu. Read more about how the flu jab works.
The nasal spray flu vaccine for children contains live, but weakened forms of flu virus, but again this vaccine does not cause flu. Read more about how the children's flu nasal vaccine works.
If children are worried about the vaccination, it's important to reassure them that there are no needles involved, just a quick and painless nasal spray. NHS Choices has a short animated film available, which might make children feel more comfortable about having the vaccination.