We use cookies

Severe weather conditions - Flooding

Herefordshire is experiencing significant and widespread flooding. Please avoid any unnecessary travel and do not enter flood water.

Change your child's first name

Once you have registered a birth, you can change the baby's name during the first year, should you wish to. The new birth certificate will show the original name and the new name. From 1 November 2017 this will incur a statutory fee of £40. If you would like to change a child's name outside of the first year, you will need to complete a deed poll form. More information can be found on the government's change a child's name web page.

If your child has been baptised with a different name within 12 months from the date of birth registration, you should register the baptised name. You will need to ask the minister of the church where the child was baptised to complete the registration form, and then you should make an appointment to submit the completed form at the register office.

If more than 12 months have elapsed since the date of registration, you will need to provide documentation to prove that the change of name took place within 12 months of the birth registration (for example a medical card). The new birth certificate will show the original name and the new name. For further information visit the change your name by deed poll page on the government website, the Citizen's Advice Bureau or a solicitor.