Support for carers

Caring for someone you love can be upsetting and make you feel anxious and unsure about the future.  For some it’s sudden: someone you love is taken ill or has an accident, or your child is born with a disability.  For others caring creeps up unnoticed – your parents can’t manage on their own any longer or your partner’s health gets gradually worse.

There is help available – there are organisations that can give you information and advice to support you in your caring role:

Carers UK  is the national organisation there to listen, to give you expert information and advice that’s tailored to your situation.
Crossroads Care – is a local carers support charity that provides practical help and supported social opportunities for Herefordshire carers and those they support.
Herefordshire Carers Support – offers local carers emotional support, one-to-one advice, support groups and networking together with training opportunities and help to access information and services relevant for you.
WISH - wellbeing information and signposting for Herefordshire.  WISH has information to support you in your caring role, together with a directory of activities, events and services where you live.

Carers assessments

A social worker or a health professional can help you to get a carer’s assessment which will identify your needs in supporting the person you care for.

Financial support

You may be entitled to financial help, including a Carer’s Allowance.  You can find out about benefits for carers on the Carers UK website.