Living aids, equipment and telecare
There are lots of gadgets and aids on the market to help you live at home independently for longer. Medical and personal care aids improve day-to-day living, whilst kitchen and other gadgets can help with daily tasks. Tracking devices and detectors can help you stay in touch and stay safe from fire and flood. You can buy many of these on the high street or online.
Equipment and equipment return
We provide equipment and living aids to some children and adults to help them live safe, healthy and independent lives. NRS Healthcare delivers the Integrated Community Equipment Store service for Herefordshire Council. Please return any equipment you no longer need:
- Return the item directly to the store: Unit 3a, Thorn Business Park, Rotherwas, Hereford, HR2 6JT
- Email NRS on firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange collection
- Call NRS on 0300 100 0045 to arrange collection
- Visit NRS Returning equipment for more information about the best way to return equipment or arrange collection in your area
The Disability Equipment Service Herefordshire sells second-hand disability equipment being sold by individuals. The site is run and maintained by Herefordshire Carers Support.
Sensory impairment service
We contract a sensory impairment service to help and advise people who have problems with their vision or their hearing. You can access this service by contacting the advice and referral team, email ASCAdviceandReferralTeam@herefordshire.gov.uk or call 01432 260101.
The Disabled Living Foundation's Ask Sara website takes you through an assessment and recommends the type of equipment you could purchase to help with your needs.
Telecare is a lifeline alarm that triggers an alert if activated by a type of sensor. It's great for people with learning or physical disabilities or who have sensory impairment and live at home. It can also support people who are frail, have limited mobility or are at risk of falling. It gives you confidence and assures your carers that you can be safe.
Independent for longer website uses interactive case studies and personal stories to show how telecare services can make your home a much safer place. Explore the options room by room, and tailor to your personal circumstances.
If you are eligible for adult social care, the council will provide this service for you. Our advice and referral team will be able to advise you on whether you are eligible for an assessment:
- Telephone: 01432 260101
If you are not eligible, you can still enjoy the benefits of this service. Contact Herefordshire Careline for more information:
- Telephone: 0300 777 4321
Websites providing equipment
- Tunstall - telecare equipment
- Possum - telecare equipment
- Easylink - standalone/carer equipment
- Lifemax - standalone/carer equipment
- Canary - lifestyle monitoring
- At Dementia - dementia specialist advice and assistive technology
- Living made Easy - specialist advice and daily living equipment
- RNIB sight impairment - including assistive technology
- Action on Hearing Loss - hearing impairment including assistive technology
- Telephone: 01432 260101
- Email: ASCAdviceandReferralTeam@herefordshire.gov.uk
- Fax: 01432 261666
For advice on assistive technology
- Telecare team
- Telephone: 01432 261650