Living aids, equipment and telecare
There are lots of gadgets and technologies available on the market to help you live at home independently for longer. For example, medication dispensers, tracking devices, gadgets to help you in the kitchen and around the house and detectors to help you stay safe from fire and flood. Many of these are available on the high street.
Equipment and equipment return
We provide equipment and living aids to some children and adults through the Integrated Community Equipment Store, to help people live safe, healthy and independent lives. NRS Healthcare delivers this service for Herefordshire Council. Please return any equipment you no longer need:
- Return the item directly to the store: Unit 3a, Thorn Business Park, Rotherwas, Hereford, HR2 6JT
- Email NRS on email@example.com to arrange collection
- Call NRS on 0300 100 0045 to arrange collection
You can find second-hand disability equipment being sold by individuals through the Disability Equipment Service Herefordshire The site is run and maintained by Herefordshire Carers Support.
Sensory Impairment service
We contract a Sensory Impairment service to help and advise people who have problems with their vision or their hearing. You can access this service by contacting the Advice and Referral Team, email ASCAdviceandReferralTeam@herefordshire.gcsx.gov.uk or call 01432 260101.
The Disabled Living Foundation' s excellent Ask Sara website takes you through an assessment and makes recommendations about the type of equipment you could purchase to help.
Telecare is a lifeline alarm that triggers an alert if activated by a type of sensor. It's great for people who have learning disabilities, are frail, have limited mobility, are at risk of falling, have sensory impairment, or who are disabled and live at home. It gives you confidence and provides your carers with assurance that you can be safe.
Independent for longer is an interactive website using case studies and personal stories to show how telecare services can make your home a much safer environment. Explore the options room by room, and depending on your personal circumstances.
If you are eligible for adult social care, the council will provide this for you. Our advice and referral team will be able to advise you on whether you are eligible for an assessment:
- Telephone: 01432 260101
If you are not eligible, you can still enjoy the benefits of this service. Contact Herefordshire Careline for more information:
- Telephone: 0300 777 4321
Websites providing equipment
- Tunstall - telecare equipment
- Possum - telecare equipment
- Easylink - standalone/carer equipment
- Lifemax - standalone/carer equipment
- Canary - lifestyle monitoring
- At Dementia - dementia specialist advice and assistive technology
- Living made Easy - specialist advice and daily living equipment
- RNIB sight impairment - including assistive technology
- Action on Hearing Loss - hearing impairment including assistive technology
- Telephone: 01432 260101
- Email: ASCAdviceandReferralTeam@herefordshire.gcsx.gov.uk
- Fax: 01432 261666
For advice on assistive technology
- Telecare team
- Telephone: 01432 261650