What is care and support?

Care and support, also known as social care services or adult social care, is the term used to describe the help some adults need to live as well as possible with illness, disability or frailty. Social care services can take many forms - it can include help while you live at home, out and about in the community, or in a new place of residence such as a care home. Many of us will need care and support at some point in our lives and most people will pay at least something towards the cost of their care.

To establish what care you need and to help identify what support is required to meet your needs, we carry out a care assessment. The assessment is also used to check if you are eligible to receive assistance from the council. Even if you think you might not be eligible for social care support, you and the person who supports you (your carer) are entitled to have a care assessment to find out what other support may be available to you both.

Herefordshire Council will support you to arrange your care where you have been assessed as having eligible needs. Any decisions about your care and support will consider your wellbeing and what is important to you and your family, so you can stay healthy and remain independent for longer. Some of the services you receive will be free of charge, while others will have charges. Where there are charges, what you have to pay will depend on your eligibility and financial circumstances. The council will do a financial assessment with you, or your financial representative, to work out how much you should pay.

If you do not feel confident or able to make decisions about your care and support, there is help available. There is more information on the WISH website on advocacy and making decisions pages. WISH Herefordshire provides information and signposting to help support anyone with care and wellbeing needs in Herefordshire.