Herefordshire Armed Forces Community Covenant
The Armed Forces Community Covenant is a national initiative that aims to create deeper links and understanding between local communities and the Armed Forces.
The Covenant for Herefordshire was signed on 29 May 2012 by the Armed Forces community, Armed Forces charities and representatives from the public, private and community sectors.
Some of the original signatories were Brigadier Mark Banham, MBE, who was Commander 143 (West Midlands) Brigade, the late Councillor Olwyn Barnett, who was Herefordshire Council chairman, and Lady Darnley, the Lord-Lieutenant of Herefordshire. Councillors Mark McEvilly, Bob Matthews, Jim Kenyon and Stuart Anderson are the council's Armed Forces Community Champions.
The covenant has five aims:
- Encourage local communities to support the Armed Forces communities in their areas
- Nurture public understanding and public awareness of the issues affecting the Armed Forces community
- Recognise and remember the sacrifices faced by the Armed Forces community
- Encourage activities which help to integrate the Armed Forces community into local life
- Encourage the Armed Forces community to help and support the wider community
A Civilian Military Task Group was formed to support the delivery of those aims within Herefordshire using an action plan approach.
If you have any questions, comments or queries, please contact:
- Herefordshire Council - Penny Jones, Regeneration Programmes Manager, 01432 260613, email@example.com
- Herefordshire Council - Tracy Ricketts, Grants and Programmes Manager, 01432 260652, firstname.lastname@example.org
Find out more
Use the sections below to find out more about the Community Covenant and see what's happening locally and where to find support.
- Armed Forces Day
- Big White Wall
- 2gether NHS Foundation Trust page on post traumatic stress disorder (local link)
- British Army
- British Army - Hereford Careers Office
- Civvy Street
- Combat Stress
- Defence Discount Service
- GOV.UK - Support for war veterans
- Help for Heroes
- Hereford HIVE
- Home Point
- Ministry of Defence
- Ministry of Defence - Service personnel and veterans agency publications
- NHS Choices - Military healthcare
Healthcare information for military personnel and veterans, including getting treatment and contacts
Employment for spouses of the British forces
National and local discounts/benefits websites for Veterans, Serving Forces and their families
- Royal Air Force
- Royal Air Force - Visit a careers office
- Royal Navy
- Royal Navy Careers
- The Rifles
- The Royal British Legion - Herefordshire