Leominster High Street Heritage Action Zone Scheme
Leominster town centre will benefit from the multi-million pound High Street Heritage Action Zone (HSHAZ) Fund, which seeks to breathe new life into high streets that are rich in heritage and potential.
Leominster is one of a number of high streets in England to receive a share of the £95 million government fund for heritage regeneration projects, led by Historic England working with local councils and the community.
Until March 2024, Herefordshire Council and Leominster Town Council will be working in partnership with residents, businesses and community groups to deliver a range of projects, agreed with Historic England, that aim to renew and rejuvenate Leominster's High Street and conservation area.
Grant scheme launched
A grant scheme has been launched to help Leominster preserve its historical townscape and regain its vibrancy.
If you own or are responsible for the maintenance and repair of a historic building in the Leominster Conservation Area, you may be eligible to apply for a range of grants that will be available until March 2024. If you lease a property, are not responsible for its maintenance but are interested in a grant, you could consider working with the owner to make an application.
The following grant opportunities are available:
- Restoration of shopfronts and frontages - grants of up to 80% of eligible costs
- Building enhancements - grants of up to 80% of eligible costs
- Restoration of lost features such as windows, railings and architectural details - grants of up to 80% of eligible costs
- Conversion and repurposing historic buildings such as bringing empty space into use for flats, live/work units or visitor accommodation - grants of up to 50% of eligible costs
If you are interested in applying for any or all of the grants listed above, please download and complete the Expression of Interest (EOI) form
More information about the type of work that can be funded is available in the guidance documents, or on request from the HSHAZ Officer. Please complete the EOI form with as much detail as possible, including photographs of the building and the areas of work needed, if available. You can submit the form by email, post or by handing it in to Leominster tourist information centre using the details at the end of the form.
We will then contact you to discuss your project in more detail, confirm eligibility and to arrange a site visit to discuss next steps as necessary.
Please note that grants cannot be offered for works already carried out and are subject to standard conditions. More information on these is available from the HSHAZ Officer or see the guidance conditions document
More about the Leominster HSHAZ
The projects included in the Leominster HSHAZ Scheme were identified through public consultation and discussion with Historic England. They include:
- Improvements to public spaces, with a focus on Corn Square
- A grants programme to restore key historic buildings/shopfronts and bring under-utilised buildings back into use
- The introduction of Wi-Fi and footfall counters in the town centre
- A web-based heritage app for promotion of Leominster's history, tourism and retail offerings
- A review of listed building records and a conservation area appraisal, to help to protect Leominster's architecture and ensure that new developments are in keeping with Leominster's unique townscape
Find out more
There will be many opportunities for local residents, businesses and community groups to help shape and contribute to these projects as they are developed.
For further information on projects in the Leominster HSHAZ Scheme, please contact Rob Ewing at Rob.Ewing@herefordshire.gov.uk