Using the archive index search
Using the search functions
There are seven fields:
- Keywords: Free search field that anything can be typed into. It will search through all the columns included in the database
- UKAT Subject:A drop-down linear list of subjects attributed to each descriptive line. It will search the UKAT Subject column and Description column
- Country: A drop-down list of countries. Herefordshire parishes can be searched without setting the country to 'England'
- County: A drop-down list of counties
- Parish: A drop-down list of parishes. This is defaulted to Herefordshire parishes, unless the country or county is changed
- Year from: Numerical search field only (for example, 1970)
- Year to: Numerical search field only (for example, 1970)
If you are uncertain about a name, you can use wildcards:
- '*' will match any characters
- '_' will match any single character.
For example, 'J_n' would match Jon but not John, and 'J*n' would match both.
Once the search returns your results you can sort the results in each column by clicking the green circle symbol at the top of the column.
You can select the number of results to view on each page between 25, 50 and 100, using the green buttons below the search results.
Understanding the search results
Each result will contain one index entry relating to a document, several documents or an archive collection. The information will then be displayed in eight columns (see below for a list and description of each column's content). This is only an index database to collections at Herefordshire Archive and Records Centre and will therefore not contain any digitized images of the records described.
- Country: Listing the country the item(s) relate to
- County: Listing the county the item(s) relate to. In most instances this will contain the historic county, as listed in the document. However modern records may name the current or recent administrative county, as found on the record. This will also reflect the principal administrative division in international countries. For example, documents pertaining to United States of America will list federal states in this column rather than 'counties'
- Parish: Listing the civil or ecclesiastical parish. If the record concerns several parishes then there will be an entry for each relevant parish
- Description: This field provides a description of the document, documents or collections. This can include information on specific property or locations, names of individuals, context and the type of document
- Dates: Listing the creation date(s) of the record(s) being described in the description field. 'n.d.' indicates that there were no dates listed on the record. Dates within square brackets are estimated dates by the cataloguer
- Reference: Listing the reference number(s) of the record(s) listed in the description. Page numbers within a record are indicated through the abbreviation f. and ff., followed by the page. The term 'passim' succeeding a reference number indicates that the record can be found throughout (or frequently within) the collection. Always check the catalogues at Herefordshire Archive and Records Centre to ascertain the correct reference(s)
- UKAT Subjects: Listed UKAT subjects attributed to the record(s) being indexed
- Microform: Indicating whether there are microfilm or microfiche copies of the documents available to view