Skip to main content


Many carers do not see themselves as carers but primarily as a parent, child, wife, husband, partner, friend or neighbour. This means a significant percentage of carers remain hidden and unidentified in their communities. Some are balancing caring responsibilities with paid employment, education or training, unaware that help and support is available to them.

As a carer you have a legal right to an assessment of your own needs. This is called a carer's assessment.

What is a carer's assessment?

If you provide care, support or help to someone who has a disability, illness or is elderly and frail and they cannot cope without your help, then you are a carer. You need not be living with the person you support, but you cannot be either a paid carer or a volunteer.

The carer's assessment is not a test about your ability to care; it helps identify the physical, emotional and practical help you may need to carry on your caring role. You have the right to have your needs considered when decisions are being made about support for the person you care for. This will include any education, training, work or leisure activity that you would like to take part in.

In your assessment, we will consider issues such as:

  • Finding time for yourself
  • The effect caring is having on your health and well-being and your relationships with others
  • Whether the person you're caring for is getting enough help and support
  • Any additional help that local or national organisations could offer

Request a carer's assessment

To request a carer's assessment, please contact:

What support is available for carers?

Herefordshire Carers Support provides practical support and advice to all carers in the county. It is a dedicated organisation for young, parent and adult carers.

They offer a range of services that includes:

  • Support groups for all carers
  • Social events, clubs and an opportunity to meet other carers
  • Friendly support when you need someone to listen
  • Support with working with care professionals
  • Confidential one-to-one support
  • Support with training and learning opportunities
  • Support to young carers with school/college/university

To find out more visit the Herefordshire Carers Support website or contact:

Can I get a short break from caring?


A short stay away from home can be arranged for the person you care for - either for a couple of days or longer.

This is known as respite care and can be a welcome change for the person you care for, as well as giving you, the carer, a much needed break.

Depending on your needs you can choose whether it is flexible over a long period of time or for specific periods of time. 

A social worker or a health professional can help you to get a carer's assessment which will identify your needs in supporting the person you care for.

To contact your local social care office:

What financial help is a carer entitled to?

If you are a carer, you may be entitled to financial help. You can find out more on our types of benefits page.

You can also find out about the benefits you may be entitled to including Carer's Allowance in the Carers and disability benefits section of GOV.UK.

Our welfare benefits team can also help you to find out your entitlement and complete forms.

You can contact them on:

Or you can visit the help with claiming welfare benefits page.

A to Z of services