Holidays activities and food (HAF) programme grant for providers
Herefordshire Council is looking for groups or organisations who work with children and young people to assist us in delivering our Here for Herefordshire Holidays programme across Herefordshire during the 2023/4 summer, Christmas and Easter holidays.
Children from disadvantaged families are more likely to experience 'unhealthy holidays' in terms of nutrition and physical health and more likely to experience social isolation. Using funding provided by the government we will provide free holiday provision which includes, healthy food and enriching activities, across the county to help us tackle this issue.
The funding will ensure that over 4,460 Herefordshire children and young people who receive benefits-related free school meals, are offered the opportunity to take part in creative and sporting activities during these holidays and receive a free healthy meal during the sessions.
The aim of the Here for Herefordshire Holidays programme
The aim of the programme is to deliver a total of 16 hours provision, used flexibly (for example, eight hours over two days a week) at Easter and Christmas and 64 hours over the summer holidays. There is flexibility over the holidays and this provision could include evening or weekends. All children attending the activity sessions will be offered a free healthy meal.
What we need activity providers to be able to do
To be able to run these activities we need your experience and resource as a provider. Before you could apply to be part of this exciting scheme we needed you to:
- Be passionate about being involved in inclusive, fun and enriching activities with the desire to enable children from low income families to take part in opportunities for all for children and young people
- Offer up to 16 hours provision over the Christmas or Easter holidays, used flexibly, (for example four hours over four days) or 64 hours over the summer holidays, used flexibly (for example, eight hours over two days a week) for six weeks of the summer holiday. This can include weekends or evenings. There is some flexibility around the delivery and we would encourage you to apply, even if you are not able to run the full hours. Please email HAFproviders@herefordshire.gov.uk for more information
- Offer activities which could contribute to the total hours, such as standalone workshops, for example break dancing, graffiti workshops
- Offer a healthy meal and nutritional information. The meal can be provided by a registered food provider
- Provide a plan of stimulating and enriching activities and resources for children, including those with special educational needs, physical and hidden disability
- Provide evidence of required accredited qualifications
- Evaluate the success of the scheme
To find out more, read the government's holiday activities and food programme guidance. The guidance includes information about the standards that providers are expected to meet in delivering the programme.
Who can apply
- Community groups, faith groups, charity and voluntary sector, community interest companies
- Organisations or groups that can offer a new bespoke provision to children and young people in Herefordshire
- Organisations or groups which are part of already existing holiday provision in the area
- A mixed arrangement depending on the local supply and demand for provision
How to apply
Before making your application, download and read the HAF information pack, which contains full details of the programme.
Then complete and return the application form before the deadline of midnight on Sunday 15 October 2023:
What happens next
Submitted applications will be reviewed against the HAF programme criteria by the grants panel on Tuesday 17 October and Thursday 19 October 2023.
We will inform all applicants of the outcome during the week commencing 23 October 2023.
If we require more information you will be contacted by a member of the HAF team.
Offer conditions will be sent out to successful applicants.
On return of the signed agreement and condition offer alongside all due diligence paperwork, 50 percent of the grant allocation will be awarded and processed by the end of November subject to due diligence paperwork approval.
HAF Programme 2023 contact details
If you have a question about the Herefordshire Holiday Activities and Food Programme, please contact our HAF project team by email.Send Email