Herefordshire registration service has records of births, deaths, marriages and civil partnerships that have taken place in Herefordshire since 1 July 1837.
All completed registers are held in our Hereford Register Office:
How to order a copy certificate
You can order a copy certificate:
- Online - complete the application form. To pay for a copy certificate please go to our online payments section and select 'Registrars - Certificates and Ceremonies'
- By debit or credit card over the telephone on 01432 260565
- In person at one of our register offices
- By post - print the application form and send it together with payment (cheque or postal order, payable to Herefordshire Council) to Herefordshire Register Office, Town Hall, St Owen Street, Hereford HR1 2PJ
The information required to request a certificate is:
- Birth - full name at birth, date and place of birth, parents' names, including mother's maiden name if applicable
- Death - full name of the deceased, date and place of death
- Marriage - full names of both parties at the time of the marriage, date and place of marriage
If the event took place outside Herefordshire, you should apply to the register office for the district in which the event took place or to the General Register Office.
Cost of a copy certificate
- Full birth certificate £10 (contains all the information recorded in the original birth register including mother and father's details where recorded)
- Short birth certificate £10 (contains full name, date of birth and registration district - passport and job applications now require a full birth certificate)
- Certificates from current registers issued after the time of registration £7
- All other copy certificates £10
- Priority service - the fee for certificates on demand is £25. This does not include certificates from current registers
- UK postage - £1 if we post your certificate out to you - alternatively you may collect it from the issuing office
How long it takes
- Standard service - posted by second class post or available for collection within five working days of receiving the application
- Priority service - posted by first class post or available for collection on the day the application is received
Copies of certificate of adoption
If you require a copy of your certificate of adoption you will need to apply to the General Register Office in Southport.
Records for events which occurred before 1837
Events before 1 July 1837 may have been recorded in church baptismal, marriage and burial registers. Herefordshire Record Office holds many local parish records. Some useful contacts are also on the Herefordshire Family History Society website.