Garden waste and composting
Garden waste should not be placed in general rubbish or recycling bins or sacks.
There are several ways you can manage your garden waste.
Composting at home is the best way to deal with garden and some food waste. It will:
- Prevent some food waste from having to go into your black bin
- Save you money on green garden sacks or trips to the recycling centre
- Reduce the amount of waste sent to landfill or incineration at our energy-from-waste facility
- Let you produce your own nutrient rich compost for your garden
There are options to suit the scale of your garden or the amount of garden waste you produce.
- You can compost both garden waste and some food waste such as fruit and vegetable peelings
- Specialist compost bins are available for composting other types of food waste
You can purchase compost bins at getcomposting.com.
Find out more about how to get started with composting at RecycleNow, including what you can compost.
Compost at recycling centres
There are composting facilities for garden waste at all our household recycling centres. Please note there is a booking system in place to visit some of these centres.
Covid-19 compost purchase at recycling centres
We have had to suspend our service which lets you buy back the compost made from garden waste at our household recycling centres. When this service is available the compost costs £2.50/bag. Please enquire at the recycling centres.
Garden waste collections - green sacks
If you are unable to compost at home or take your garden waste to a recycling centre, you can purchase Herefordshire Council green sacks to dispose of your garden waste.
Garden waste must not be placed in your general rubbish or recycling containers or bags.
- We can only collect garden waste if it is placed in Herefordshire Council green waste sacks.
- We collect garden waste sacks fortnightly at the same time as your general rubbish.
- If you are going to put out more than 10 garden waste sacks at a time please call our Customer services team on 01432 260051. Under current circumstances we are prioritising general rubbish collections so cannot guarantee collections of very large numbers of green bags from individual households.
Waste put out in green sacks is not composted. It is sent to landfill or incineration at our energy-from-waste facility.
Under the Environmental Protection Act (1990) and schedule 1(4) of the Controlled Waste Regulations (2012) local authorities can charge for the collection of garden waste. We make such a charge through the sale of our green sacks.
A roll of five garden waste sacks costs £4. These are available for Herefordshire residents only. You can buy online and collect from a specified library, or visit one of the outlets listed below to purchase directly.
Buy sacks online
Buy sacks online by completing this form.
You will need to:
- Order and pay for the sacks online
- Select which library you will collect from
- Allow two working days (excluding the day of payment) before going to collect the sacks from your chosen library
- Show your purchase receipt, which we will email to you, when collecting sacks
Library opening times for collection of green sacks
- Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday - 2pm to 4pm
- Thursday, Friday and Saturday - 11am to 1pm
Buy Herefordshire Council garden waste sacks directly from:
- Bartonsham Stores
- Clehonger Stores
- Eardisley Post Office
- Kingstone Stores
- Leominster Tourist Office, Corn Square
- Lyonshall Nurseries, Kington, HR5 3LN
- Moreton on Lugg Stores
- Philpotts Nursery, Cursneh Road, Leominster, HR6 8DQ
- Wellington Village Stores
Prices at these outlets may vary from that above and stock is not guaranteed.
Please note that the brown 'Green Waste Club' bin service is a commercial service, not provided by Herefordshire Council.