After a flood

Financial support after flooding

Details of any grants and funding that may be made available to flood victims will be published here.

Information for users of septic tanks and private water supplies

Clean up

If your home or property has been flooded it could be contaminated by oil, silt and sewage. This will need to be carefully and completely cleaned up to remove any health risk. Basic precautions will help to keep you and your family safe. This will include wearing waterproof protective clothing, covering cuts and abrasions with waterproof dressings and following detailed advice about cleaning household items. You should make sure that you wash hands thoroughly with soap and water.

If you have been in contact with flood water and find that you are experiencing flu like symptoms, in the first instance you should call NHS 111. This service will be able to provide with advice and guidance and refer you for treatment if needed. You should make NHS111 aware that you have been in contact with flood water.

If you are concerned about contaminated water or sewage in floodwater, call our environmental health team on 01432 261761.

If you think an elderly relative or neighbour has been affected by flooding get in touch with our adult social care team.

If a road has been affected, you can report potholes and damaged roads after flooding.

The Environment Agency has information about cleaning your house as well as details of organisations that can help you do this. The UK Health Security Agency also has a useful leaflet on cleaning your home safely after a flood. Unless they are contaminated, you can dispose of most water-damaged items at one of our household recycling centres. Ask the staff there if you need any help.

If you are worried about the security of your property call West Mercia Police.

Reusing and disposing of sandbags

Dry out sandbags and store them in a shed, garage or under cover so you can use them again. If you cannot store them, open them up and spread the sand on your garden if you have one. You can then treat the sacks as normal waste. If the sand or bags are contaminated, please dispose of them responsibly. Contact our Environmental Health team for advice if you are unsure, email or call 01432 261761.

Emotional support

Qwell is a free digital mental health service for adults aged 19 and over, providing safe and anonymous emotional support 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Alongside an extensive range of self-care and psycho-educational materials, peer to peer support via moderated community forums, helpful articles and personal tools, such as an online journal, there is also one to one counselling support available, with fully qualified wellbeing practitioners (12pm to 10pm weekdays and 6pm to 10pm weekends and holidays).

If you have felt stressed, anxious or depressed following the flood and would like some psychological and emotional support, the mental health provider in Herefordshire can offer a service to support your wellbeing during this difficult time, please visit Let's Talk 2gether or contact them on 0800 073 2200.

If you need support, contact family and friends, your doctor or an organisation like the Red Cross or the Samaritans. For local organisations that can offer support see the Talk Community Directory's mental health and wellbeing page.


Flood Re is a joint initiative between the Government and insurers. Its aim is to make the flood cover part of household insurance policies more affordable. You can read about How Flood Re works (pdf). It is important that people at high flood-risk in Herefordshire shop around for the best insurance policy. For more information visit the Flood Re website.

A loss adjuster is someone who is employed by an insurance company to decide how much money should be paid to a person making a claim.

A loss assessor is someone appointed by a policy holder to manage a claim on their behalf.

Advice from the Association of British Insurers (ABI) about flooding resilience and on working through the insurance system after a flood:

After flooding information email and text updates

Sign up to receive email or text updates on this, and a variety of other topics from Herefordshire Council.