Paying back an overpayment of benefits

An overpayment is benefit which we have paid, but later decide that you are not entitled to, according to the benefit regulations.

If you know you are receiving too much benefit, you must inform us immediately.

If Housing Benefit is overpaid to your landlord, we may ask you or your landlord to repay it depending on the reason for the overpayment.

How to repay an overpayment

If you are still entitled to Housing Benefit, we will normally take a weekly amount from that benefit. Otherwise, we will send you a bill.

Pay your invoice online

If you would like to pay your invoice via BACS the details are:

  • Account number: 10313338
  • Sort code: 53-50-41

Please ensure you quote your 8 digit invoice number to ensure your payment is allocated correctly.

If you would like to pay by direct debit please download the direct debit mandate, complete it and return it to the Revenues Team with a covering letter detailing an offer of instalments. You can also email the Revenues Team at

If you are still entitled to Council Tax Reduction, we will send you a revised Council Tax bill.

If your Discretionary Housing Payment is overpaid, we will send you a bill.

Please contact us if you have difficulty repaying an overpayment.