- Information held about you
Our team works with English as additional language (EAL) learners primarily within primary and secondary schools in Herefordshire. Pupils are referred to the team by schools and specific data on referred pupils is collected by English as an additional language (EAL) team. General data including ethnicity, first language and English proficiency stage of all EAL learners is collected termly by the Department for Education via the school census.
Public services should record the ethnicity, nationality and language of pupils with English as an additional language - there is a duty under the Equality Act 2010 to measure how good services are for everyone.
To do this properly we need to know the ethnicity, nationality, language and arrival date into the UK of service users and use this information to identify inequalities. We would like your permission to share information about you and your family with local education services. This is because we hope to improve progress of EAL learners who have a recognised potential for inequality within the school system.
To improve services we need to process the following personal data:
- Dates of birth
- First/home language
- Date of arrival in the UK
- Contact details
- Information about school attendance, progress and attainment (in home country and the UK)
- Information about special educational needs
- Who is processing your data
All personal data held, is processed in accordance with data protection law. The data controller for the information outlined in this privacy notice is Herefordshire Council.
- How we will use the information we hold about you
We will collect information about your child when referred to the service to:
- Record how well your child is doing in school
- Contact your child's school to offer education advice and support including assessment of your child's progress in English acquisition and learning
- Meet with you (if appropriate) to offer advice surrounding linguistic support at home
- Sign-post you to other services for support (with your consent)
- How the law allows us to use your information
The legal basis for processing the data is:
- Your consent, which you can withdraw at any time by notifying us
- Our legal obligation under the Equality Act 2010
- In the exercise of official authority
- Who we will share your information with
We may share your information with partner organisations, including:
- Herefordshire Council education services
- Your child/children's school
We will not normally share your information with organisations other than our partner organisations without your consent. However, there may be certain circumstances where we would share without consent such as where we are required to do so by law, to safeguard public safety, and in risk of harm or emergency situations.red. We will only share the minimum information for the purpose, on a need to know basis and with appropriate individuals.
- How long we keep your personal information
We will only keep your information for the minimum period necessary. The information outlined in this privacy notice will be kept for 25 years. All information will be held securely and destroyed under confidential conditions.
- Your rights
You have a number of rights under data protection law, including the right to request your information and to request that the information is amended or erased if incorrect.
To request your records, you will need to provide proof of identification and write to the Information Governance Team, Herefordshire Council, Plough Lane, Hereford HR4 0LE or email email@example.com
You also have the right to make a complaint about our handling of your personal data to the Information Commissioner's Office.
- Providing accurate information
- It is important that we hold accurate and up to date information about you to assess your needs and deliver the appropriate services. If any of your details have changed, or change in the future, please tell us so that we can update your records.
- Further information
If you have any questions or concerns about how your information is used, please contact the English as an additional language team in the first instance.
You can also contact the Data Protection Officer, Herefordshire Council, Plough Lane, Hereford HR4 0LE, email firstname.lastname@example.org
You can find more information about data protection and how it applies to you on the Information Commissioner's Office website.
- Service web page