- Information held about you
We provide an assisted waste collection service to households only where there is no one who is physically able to place the bins or bags at the boundary of the property or collection point ready for collection. We send annual surveys to a proportion of addresses that have been registered as receiving the assisted collection service for longer than 12 months to ensure our records are accurate and to confirm if the service is still needed.
To provide you with the assisted collection service it is necessary for us to collect and hold personal information about you. This information will include:
- Your contact details - including your name, address, telephone number, email address
- Contact we have had with you, such as home visits, any contact regarding your collections
- The reason you give us to explain your need for the service
- Who is processing your data
All personal data held, is processed in accordance with data protection law. The data controller for the information outlined in this privacy notice is Herefordshire Council.
- How we will use the information we hold about you
We will collect information about you to:
- Check requests for the assisted collection service are valid and only provided to those who have a genuine need
- Contact you to discuss your waste collection service, for example our contractor may need to carry out a risk assessment before providing the assisted waste collection service, so we would need to contact you to let you know
- How the law allows us to use your information
The legal basis for processing the data is:
- Under section 45 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990, Herefordshire Council have a duty to provide a household waste collection service and have specified, under section 46 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990, a standard collection service
- In the public interest or in the exercise of official authority
- Who we will share your information with
We may share your information with partner organisations, including:
- To provide you with assisted collection service, we need to share some of the details you provide us with our waste collection contractor, FCC Environment Services Ltd. This information will include your address, contact details and that an assisted collection is needed at the address. This is so they know to carry out the assisted collection at your address. We will not normally share the reason why you need the assisted collection service with our contractor without your prior consent
- The data you provide is stored within the council's secure ICT systems, maintained by Hoople Ltd
- We may share the collection service information (for example that an assisted collection is needed at your address) with third party companies responsible for providing our contractor's ICT systems, for example, in-cab software
We will not normally share your information with organisations other than our partner organisations without your consent. However, there may be certain circumstances where we would share without consent such as where we are required to do so by law, to safeguard public safety, and in risk of harm or emergency situations. We will only share the minimum information for the purpose, on a need to know basis and with appropriate individuals.
- How long we keep your personal information
We will only keep your information for the minimum period necessary. The information outlined in this privacy notice will be kept for the length of time you are registered as receiving an assisted collection. Once we are aware you no longer receive the assisted collection service the information relating to your request will be deleted. This may take up to 90 days.
When your address is removed from the assisted collection service, a cancellation notification is sent to our contractor. This notification only contains your address and that the assisted collection has been cancelled at that address. We will keep the cancellation notification for six months.
We will hold all information securely and destroy it under confidential conditions.
- Your rights
You have a number of rights under data protection law, including the right to request your information and to request that the information is amended or erased if incorrect.
To request your records, you will need to provide proof of identification and write to the Information Governance Team, Herefordshire Council, Plough Lane, Hereford HR4 0LE or email email@example.com
You also have the right to make a complaint about our handling of your personal data to the Information Commissioner’s Office.
- Providing accurate information
- It is important that we hold accurate and up to date information about you to assess your needs and deliver the appropriate services. If any of your details have changed, or change in the future, please tell us so that we can update your records.
- Further information
If you have any questions or concerns about how your information is used, please contact waste management in the first instance.
You can also contact the Data Protection Officer, Herefordshire Council, Plough Lane, Hereford HR4 0LE, email firstname.lastname@example.org
You can find more information about data protection and how it applies to you on the Information Commissioner's Office website.
- Service web page
- Last updated date
- May 2018