Body of persons approval (BoPA)

An organisation that involves children in productions without paying them and without requiring them to miss any school for performances or rehearsals may be eligible for a body of persons approval (BoPA). This may include amateur dramatics societies, dance groups and choral groups. The decision to grant a BoPA rests with the local council.

Organisations with BoPA do not, in most cases, need to apply for individual performance licences for the children they work with. This is subject to the performance and ages of children.

Application and guidance notes
Contact details
  • Telephone: 01432 260517 and 01432 383342
  • Email:
  • Address: Education Legal Officer, Herefordshire Council, Plough Lane, Hereford HR4 0LE