Club premises certificate

You may need to apply for a club premises certificate if you're a social, sporting or political members club (like a working men's club or British Legion).

You need a certificate to:

  • Sell or supply alcohol to members or guests
  • Provide regulated entertainment, like musical performances or film screenings to members or guests
About this licence

The application fee payable is dependant on the non-domestic rateable value of the premises.

An annual fee is payable on the anniversary of the grant of the licence. 

New premises licences and club premises certificates and one off event over 499 people
Rateable value band Fee Fee for premises exclusively or primarily supplying alcohol
A - no rateable value to £4300 £100  
B - £4300 - £33,000 £190  
C - £33,001 - £87,000 £315  
D - £87,001 - £125,000 £450 £900
E - £125,001 and above £635 £1905
Annual fees* - premises licences and club premises certificates VAT zero
premise licence or club premise certificate
Rateable value band Fee Fee for premises exclusively or primarily supplying alcohol
A - no rateable value to £4300 £70  
B - £4300 - £33,000 £180  
C - £33,001 - £87,000 £295  
D - £87,001 - £125,000 £320 £640
E - £125,001 and above £350 £1050
Additional fee to new and annual fee of premises licence or club premise certificate if over a certain amount of persons
Number Additional fee new application Additional few annual renewal
5000 - 9999 £1000 £500
10,000 - 14,999 £2000 £1000 
15,000 - 19,999 £4000 £2000 
20,000 - 29,999 £8000 £4000
30,000 - 30,999 £16,000 £8000
40,000 - 49,999 £24,000 £12,000
50,000 - 59,999 £32,000 £16,000
60,000 - 69,999 £40,000 £20,000 
70,000 - 79,999 £48,000 £24,000
80,000 - 89,999 £56,000 £28,000
90,000 and over £64,000 £32,000
Other Fees
Vary designated premises supervisor (DPS) £23
Transfer premises licence £23
Change of name or address £10.50
Change of club rules £10.50
Change of registered address of club £10.50
Theft or loss of premises or club licence or summary £10.50
Interim authority notice following death etc. of licence holder £23
Right of freeholder notice following death etc. to be notified of licensing matters £21
Application for a provisional statement where premises being built etc. premise licence £315


The following organisations are exempt from paying a premise licence fee when they are only providing regulated entertainment:

  • Education institutions such as schools or colleges
  • Premises forming part of a church hall, chapel hall or other similar building
Application and guidance notes

Pre-application service

We now offer a pre-application service which can be tailored to meet your needs and is for applicants applying for any type of licence under the Licensing Act. We offer three levels of service - application advice, application assistance, and a check and send service or any combination of these. Find out more about this service.

Apply for a club premises certificate

You should apply to the local authority where the premises are situated. You should submit your application with a plan of the premises, which must be in a specific format, a copy of the rules of the club and a club operating schedule which details such matters as activities, times and steps the club proposes to take to promote the licensing objectives.

Consultation with specified responsible authorities is part of the application process for a new certificate. If you apply online, we will consult the responsible authorities on your behalf.

Processing and timescales

Once the application is validated as complete, responsible authorities and interested parties have a period of 28 days to make representations about the application.

If no representations are received, we aim to process your application within 10 days from the closing date.

If representations are received, then we will hold a hearing to determine the application within 28 days after the closing date. 

Validity and renewals

The certificate is valid whilst the premises is being used for licensable activities and is subject to an annual fee. The annual fee is due on the anniversary of the grant of the certificate.

Make annual payment for a club premises certificate

Current applications
Contact us to view the public register.
Contact us in the first instance.
Contact details

If you wish to speak to a licensing officer the opening times are 9.30am to 1.30pm.

  • Telephone: 01432 261761 (All calls are dealt with by our contact centre staff and are allocated to an officer who will take action on the service request between one to five working days)
  • Fax: 01432 261982
  • Email:
  • Address: Licensing Section, Herefordshire Council, 8 St Owen Street, Hereford HR1 2PJ