Premises licence

A premises licence is a licence that is granted to authorise the premises to be used for licensable activities, namely the:

  • Retail sale of alcohol
  • Provision of regulated entertainment
  • Provision of late night refreshment

View the licensed premises register

As of 6 April 2017 there were new forms for Licensing Act applications - applicants now need to state they have the right to work in the UK.

About this licence

The application fee payable is dependant on the non-domestic rateable value of the premises.

New premises licences and club premises certificates and one off event over 499 people
Rateable value band Fee Fee for premises exclusively or primarily supplying alcohol
A - no rateable value to £4,300 £100  
B - £4,300 - £33,000 £190  
C - £33,001 - £87,000 £315  
D - £87,001 - £125,000 £450 £900
E - £125,001 and above £635 £1905
Annual fees* - premises licences and club premises certificates VAT zero
premise licence or club premise certificate
Rateable value band Fee Fee for premises exclusively or primarily supplying alcohol
A - no rateable value to £4,300 £70  
B - £4,300 - £33,000 £180  
C - £33,001 - £87,000 £295  
D - £87,001 - £125,000 £320 £640
E - £125,001 and above £350 £1050
Additional fee to new and annual fee of premises licence or club premise certificate if over a certain amount of persons
Number Additional fee new application Additional few annual renewal
5,000 - 9,999 £1000 £500
10,000 - 14,999 £2000 £1000 
15,000 - 19,999 £4000 £2000 
20,000 - 29,999 £8000 £4000
30,000 - 30,999 £16,000 £8000
40,000 - 49,999 £24,000 £12,000
50,000 - 59,999 £32,000 £16,000
60,000 - 69,999 £40,000 £20,000 
70,000 - 79,999 £48,000 £24,000
80,000 - 89,999 £56,000 £28,000
90,000 and over £64,000 £32,000
Other Fees
Minor variation £89
Vary designated premises supervisor (DPS) £23
Transfer premises licence £23
Change of name or address £10.50
Change of club rules £10.50
Change of registered address of club £10.50
Theft or loss of premises or club licence or summary £10.50
Interim authority notice following death etc. of licence holder £23
Right of freeholder notice following death etc. to be notified of licensing matters £21
Application for a provisional statement where premises being built etc. premise licence £315


The following organisations are exempt from paying a premise licence fee when they are only providing regulated entertainment:

  • Education institutions such as schools or colleges
  • Premises forming part of a church hall, chapel hall or other similar building


Application and guidance notes

Pre-application service

We now offer a pre-application service which can be tailored to meet your needs and is for applicants applying for any type of licence under the Licensing Act. We offer three levels of service - application advice, application assistance, and a check and send service or any combination of these. Find out more about this service.

Apply for a premises licence

Consultation with specified responsible authorities is part of the application process for a new certificate. If you apply online, we will consult the responsible authorities on your behalf.

If you are thinking of holding an event in Herefordshire, please notify the Safety Advisory Group (SAG).

With regards to advertising, our advice to applicants is not to advertise until you have had confirmation that your application has been accepted by us. We will also give you the templates for the notices and the consultation dates to go on the notices.

Processing and timescales

We must grant the application, which can be subject to conditions. A hearing must be held if any representations are made in respect of the application. If a hearing is held the licence can be granted or granted subject to additional conditions, licensable activities listed in the application can be excluded or the application can be rejected.

We will serve a notice of our decision on the applicant, any person who has made relevant representations (for example representations that were not deemed frivolous or vexatious) and the chief of police.

The responsible authorities have 28 consecutive days to consider the application served upon them. Members of the public and interested parties also have a 28-day period within which to consider making a relevant representation.

Representations can be made by responsible authorities or members of the public by completing the representation form and returning it to us at the address stated on the form or by emailing us at Forms should be received no later than the end of the consultation period.

Where no objections or relevant representations are made by responsible authorities or interested parties, the licensing authority must grant the premises licence on the twenty-ninth consecutive day subject only to the mandatory conditions and the operating schedule.

You can also apply to vary or transfer a licence. There may be a hearing if representations are made relating to a variation application.

You can apply for an interim authority notice following the death, incapacity or insolvency of a licence holder. You can apply to vary the licence to change the designated supervisor or to review a licence.

Validity and renewals

Most premises licences have an unlimited duration but you will have to pay an annual fee on the anniversary of the grant of the licence. Licences that authorise only regulated entertainment are exempt from the annual fee.

Make annual payment for a premises licence

Current applications
Contact us in the first instance.
Contact details

If you wish to speak to a licensing officer the opening times are 9.30am to 1.30pm.

  • Telephone: 01432 261761 (all calls are dealt with by our contact centre staff and are allocated to an officer who will take action on the service request between one to five working days)
  • Fax: 01432 261982
  • Email:
  • Address: Licensing Section, Herefordshire Council, 8 St Owen Street, Hereford HR1 2PJ