Street or pavement cafe licence
Coronavirus updates

Fast track pavement cafe licence process

There is currently a new, faster and cheaper system in place to deal with pavement cafe licences during the Covid-19 pandemic. Please go to Covid-19 pavement licence to make your application.


If you want to place street furniture, such as chairs and tables, on the public highway, you may need a highways amenity licence.

Some key points to consider:

  • To place more than six standard sized items of furniture on the highway you will need a licence
  • Less than six items may still require council permission, to ensure no highway obstructions - please contact us for advice
  • Applications can take between 6 and 12 weeks to be determined on receipt of a correctly completed and submitted form
  • Appropriate consultations form part of the decision making process that help the council to determine applications
  • If an online application for a street cafe licence is successful, we will let you know by email. This will include details of your fee, which depends on the location and number of furniture items proposed in your pavement cafe
About this licence

Permission to place tables and chairs on the pavement on GOV.UK

This licence does not cover serving alcohol.

However, the street trading panel is keen to develop a vibrant cafe culture in the market towns and Hereford city so will still consider an application where alcohol consumption is proposed as part of a cafe.

This is subject to proof that the council's licensing authority has given permission for alcohol to be consumed within a controlled and enclosed pavement cafe area. This is usually done by the variation of a premises licence.


Licences (if approved) normally run from April to April and the fees are set based on a range of factors . These include:

  • The location of the proposed street cafe 
  • The number of tables and chairs 
Application and guidance notes

Apply for a licence

Download an application form

Change a licence

Information pack and guidelines

With your application you will need to provide details of:

  • The furniture
  • How you intend to enclose the street cafe
  • Any other items in the street cafe, such as umbrellas, gas heaters and menu boards
  • A certificate of proof of public liability insurance to the value of £5 million for the street cafe

You will also need to provide two passport photographs for proof of identification and a copy of a recent utility bill for proof of address.

Processing and timescales

We aim to process your application within three months of receiving it.

We will issue a public notice of the application detailing the proposal and deadline for representations.

All representations received must be considered.

We will consult with:

  • The local council elected member
  • The relevant town council
  • External bodies such as the police and fire service
  • Shops and residential properties in close proximity to the street cafe
Validity and renewals

A street cafe licence is normally valid for a year and runs from April to April.

Contact us to view the public register.
Contact us in the first instance.
Contact details
  • Telephone: 01432 260805
  • Email:
  • Address: Markets, Fairs and Street Trading, Unit 38, Three Elms Trading Estate, Hereford HR4 9PU