Skip permit

To put a builder's skip on a public road, you need a permit from us.

Any skip placed within the highway requires the permission of the highway authority. Herefordshire Council is the highway authority for the majority of the county's roads.

About this licence

Placing a skip on a highway costs £38.50 for 7 days or part week if you apply in advance.

The cost for a retrospective application after the skip is placed on the highway is £77 for 7 days.

This is to cover the costs of administration.

Application and guidance notes

Apply for a permit

Permission may be given subject to conditions, such as:

  • Siting of the skip
  • Skip dimensions
  • Making skips visible to traffic
  • Care and disposal of skip contents
  • Lighting and guarding of skips
  • Skip removal

Conditions and guidance

Processing and timescales

We aim to process your application within 10 days of receipt.

Validity and renewals
Contact us to view the public register.
Contact us in the first instance.
Contact details
  • Telephone: 01432 261800
  • Address: Licensing and Enforcement, Balfour Beatty Living Places, Unit 3, Thorn Business Park, Rotherwas Industrial Estate, Hereford HR1 2JT