Road occupation licence

A road occupation licence is a permit to occupy the road in connection with building work.

If you wish to temporarily put building materials, scaffolding, hoarding, a cherry picker, rubbish or other items in a street or make a temporary excavation you must have consent from us as the highway authority.

You must comply with any conditions attached to a consent and any requirements relating to the fencing off and lighting of deposits or excavations.

About this licence

A fee of £80 is required for granting a licence to erect scaffold or temporary hoarding or other similar temporary structure on the highway, for a maximum period of one month. We also require an anticipated date for removal.

If the period exceeds one month, you will need to apply for a new licence. If an extension is required, but still falls within one month of the erection date, you will not need to pay a further fee.

The cost for a retrospective application received after the scaffold is erected on the highway is £105 for one month.

Cheques should be made payable to Herefordshire Council.

Application and guidance notes
Processing and timescales

We aim to process your application within 10 days of receipt.

Contact us to view the public register.
Contact us in the first instance.
Contact details
  • Telephone: 01432 261800
  • Address: Licensing and Enforcement, Balfour Beatty Living Places, Unit 3, Thorn Business Park, Rotherwas Industrial Estate, Hereford HR1 2JT