- Premises approval for marriage or civil ceremonies
Before a civil ceremony can take place at a venue in Herefordshire, the venue must be approved by the Herefordshire Registration Service.
Requirements for approval include:
- The premises must be a permanent and immovable structure (this excludes marquees)
- The premises must be regularly available to the public
- The premises cannot be religious in nature
If you are interested in becoming an approval holder, we can arrange an informal visit to your premises before you apply.
- About this licence
Fees from 1 July 2023
Type 3 year licence 5 year licence 7 year licence 10 year licence First time and renewal applications, includes 2 rooms £1,700 £2,550 £3,400 £4,600 Addition of extra rooms (cost per room - 3 maximum additional rooms = 5 in total) £250 £350 £450 £600 Appeal against refusal to issue a licence or revocation of licence £1,300 £1,300 £1,300 £1,300
- Application and guidance notes
Please read the guide to approved premises before making your application.
You can either:
To pay for your application please complete the online payment form.
You will need to attach the following documents to your application:
- Fire risk assessment
- Planning certificate (if appropriate)
- Three sets of plans of the premises indicating the proposed ceremony room(s) and interview rooms(s)
- Confirmation of public liability insurance
Postal applications with attachments should be sent to:
Herefordshire Register Office
St Owen Street
If you are unsure of anything or need any further information please contact us.
- Processing and timescales
As part of the application process, we will inspect your premises. We will also make your application and plan available to the public for inspection. As part of a public consultation process, we will put a public notice of your application in a local newspaper .
To be granted, your application must be in the correct format and your premises deemed suitable. However, we may still refuse your application if it is felt that there are too many approved premises in the area for the registrars to attend.
Conditions will be imposed on your approval. The Registrar General may issue guidance for us to assist us in making our decision.
Please allow up to two months for the application to be processed. This is because we have to display the details in the public notices on our website for 21 days and the fire risk assessment is referred to the Fire Service.
- Current applications
Contact us to view the public register.
- Contact us in the first instance.
- Contact details
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Address: Registration Service, Herefordshire Register Office, Town Hall, St Owen Street, Hereford HR1 2PJ