- Pleasure boat operator licence
To hire out water-bound non-powered pleasure crafts (including sailboards, rowing boats, canoes, kayaks, paddleboards, motor boats, pedalos and larger boats) that are for personal use or carry passengers, you need a licence.
You must not carry more passengers than you are licensed to carry.
Licence Fee 2023/24 Grant or renewal with BC delivery partnership scheme £139 Grant or renewal without BC delivery partnership scheme (plus boat inspection fee) £393 Change of business name £20 Transfer £54 Variation £237 plus £221 if committee hearing required Copy of licence £20
- Application and guidance notes
You will need to complete one of the following application forms and return it with the application fee and listed supporting information to Herefordshire Council, Licensing Team, Plough Lane, Hereford HR4 0LE or email email@example.com
- Pleasure boat operator application with BC delivery partnership
- Pleasure boat operator application without BC delivery partnership
For businesses working towards, or who have, the BC delivery partnership scheme, the pleasure boat operator application with BC delivery partnership form must be completed and submitted together with:
- A copy of the valid Public Liability Insurance Certificate (with minimum cover of £1,000,000)
- Evidence of either working towards or having obtained the BC Delivery Partnership Scheme Certificate
- The relevant fee
For businesses who do not wish to follow the BC route of the delivery partnership scheme, the pleasure boat operator application without BC delivery partnership form must be completed and submitted together with:
- A copy of your valid Public Liability Insurance Certificate (with minimum cover of £5,000,000)
- The inspection report from a suitably qualified inspector
- The relevant fee
These businesses are responsible for finding a suitably qualified inspector and the full payment of the pleasure craft inspection fee. For any queries regarding the delivery partnership scheme, please contact British Canoeing directly.
Contact us to view the public register.
- Contact us in the first instance.
- Contact details
Please contact us by email or telephone. All calls are dealt with by our contact centre staff and are allocated to an officer who will take action on the service request within one to ten working days.
Our telephone operating hours are 9am - 4.15pm.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: 01432 261761
- Address: Herefordshire Council, Licensing Team, Plough Lane, Hereford HR4 0LE