Petroleum storage certificate

To run a business where petrol is stored for dispensing directly into the fuel tank of an internal combustion engine - or where large amounts of petrol are stored for private use - you need a licence from us. 

About this licence

The annual fee is payable to the Petroleum Enforcement Authority by the persons or business carrying out the dispensing activity at the site (referred to as the Keeper). The Keeper must pay an annual fee based on the maximum quantity stored at the site. The Keeper can choose to pay for up to 10 years in advance.

Annual fees for a petroleum storage certificate

Band Quantity Fee per year
A Not exceeding 2,500 litres (550 gallons) For 1 year renewal £42
A For 2 years renewal £84
A For 3 years renewal £126
B Exceeding 2,500 litres (550 gallons) and not exceeding 50,000 litres (11,000 gallons) For 1 year renewal £58
B For 2 years renewal £116
B For 3 years renewal £174
C Exceeding 50,000 litres (11,000 gallons) For 1 year renewal £120
C For 2 years renewal £240
C For 3 years renewal £360

The fees are set by Government and specified in the Health and Safety (Fees) Regulations. For further guidance please visit the Health and Safety Executive website.

Application and guidance notes
Processing and timescales

It is in the public interest that we process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us after 10 days, please contact us.

Validity and renewals
Contact us in the first instance.
Contact details
  • Contact centre opening hours are Monday to Friday - 9am to 4.15pm
  • Telephone: 01432 261761
  • Address: Trading Standards, 8 St Owen Street, Hereford HR1 2PJ