Subject access request

The Data Protection Act gives you the right to apply for a copy of specific information held about you. This is known as a subject access request, (SAR). You can, if you wish, appoint someone to apply for you, for example a solicitor, or member of your family.

To help to protect your confidentiality, we ask for any request to be made:

  • With sufficient evidence to confirm your identity
  • Specifying the information requested or the processing activities to which it relates, if a large quantity of information about you is held (for example, if you just wish to see social care files and not council tax payment).

We will:

  • Acknowledge safe receipt of your request within 10 working days.
  • Provide the information you seek within one month of receipt of your request and evidence of identity, subject to any exemptions that may apply.

Request information

Request access to information about you held by the council

To request information we hold about you, you can complete the subject access request form. You can complete it online and email to: or print it out and post to Data Protection Officer, Herefordshire Council, PO Box 4, Plough Lane, Hereford HR4 0LE

Use the same contact details if you wish to write to us to make your request without using our form.

Social care files

We have a guide to requesting social care records.