Test and Trace support payment

From 28 September 2020, you may be entitled to a £500 payment if you:

  • Have tested positive for Covid-19 (coronavirus) or
  • Have had close contact with someone who has tested positive on or after 28 September 2020 and has been instructed to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace

These payments are designed to help ensure people who have tested positive for Covid-19 and their close contacts self-isolate for the required period to stop the onward spread of the virus. They are also designed to encourage people who are eligible for this payment to get tested if they have symptoms. This is important to help stop the transmission of Covid-19 and avoid further economic and societal restrictions.

Who can apply

To apply for the standard Test and Trace support payment, all of the following must be true. You:

  • Must have been told to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace
  • Must be employed or self-employed
  • Must be unable to work from home and will lose income
  • Must be receiving Universal Credit, Working Tax Credit, Income Based Employment Support Allowance, Income Based Jobseekers Allowance, Income Support, Housing Benefit or Pension Credit

You will need to provide the following information with your application:

  • NHS Test and Trace notification - you will need to provide your 8 digit unique reference number
  • Bank statements showing the last two months transactions
  • Proof of employment - you will need to provide wage slips and your employer's contact details
  • Proof of self-employment - this can be evidence of self-assessment, trading income, current accounts

Apply for the Test and Trace support payment

If you meet all the criteria, are on a low income and will face financial hardship as a result of not being able to work due to requiring to self-isolate but you are not in receipt of a qualifying benefit, then you may be eligible for a discretionary payment.

If you have any questions please check our FAQs about the payments.

There may be other help available to you if you have been affected financially by Covid-19, see the benefits and personal financial support page.

If you need other help during lockdown our Talk Community service may be able to help

Fraudulent applications and repeated non-compliant claims will be taken very seriously by the council. If you are found to have committed fraud (or to have attempted to do so) you will be prosecuted. We also have the right to recoup money, while taking any necessary recovery action.

Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)

If you are not eligible for the Test and Trace support payment you may be able to apply for the Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) if you've been self isolating due to coronavirus (COVID-19)

You can apply for 'new style' ESA if you're unable to claim Statutory Sick Pay and one of the following applies:

  • You or your child might have coronavirus or you're recovering from it
  • You or your child are self-isolating because you came into contact with someone who might have coronavirus
  • You've been advised by your doctor or healthcare professional to self-isolate before going into hospital for surgery
  • You've been advised to 'shield' (take extra precautions to reduce contact with others) because you're at very high risk of severe illness from coronavirus

You can check your eligibility for ESA and the documentation you need to provide on the GOV.UK website.

You can also apply online for ESA on the GOV.UK website.

Test and Trace payment policies