High or overhanging hedges

Where an overhanging hedge interferes with safe use of a public path or highway, it is the landowner's responsibility to cut it back. If the council agrees that the hedge or tree is causing a problem we can insist that the owner cuts it back.

If you would like more guidance on whether a hedge is blocking too much light and how to settle high hedge disputes, you can visit the government website.

Report a hedge overhanging a public footpath or highway

If you have tried and have been unable to resolve a high hedge issue, please call 01432 261761 on Monday to Friday, 9am to 4.15pm or use the contact us form. If you would like us to investigate a high hedge complaint the processing fee is £346.80 (£173.40 if you receive a means tested benefit).