Refugee resettlement schemes

We have worked with local partner organisations, including community and faith groups, to resettle 95 refugees (23 households) into the county since November 2016.

Priority for resettlement has been given to women and children at risk, people in severe need of medical care and survivors of torture and violence.

The refugee families have been resettled in Herefordshire as part of the Home Office's funded resettlement schemes; the Syrian Vulnerable Persons Resettlement Scheme and the Vulnerable Children's Resettlement Scheme.

The council has commissioned Refugee Action to provide an orientation and support service to welcome and help refugees settle into Herefordshire's communities, paid for by the Home Office. This support is provided for the first year of resettlement, during which time the families are supported to settle and integrate into life in Herefordshire. The refugees have access to a range of services, including health, social care, education and housing. We continue to work with local partner organisations and community and faith representatives to ensure key services are in place.

Unaccompanied Asylum Seeking Children

Herefordshire has committed to support 25 Unaccompanied Asylum Seeking Children (UASC), aged 17 or under at any one time, as part of the Home Office's National Transfer Scheme.

As a UASC reaches 18 and becomes a care leaver, the council will take on further UASCs to maintain its commitment to supporting 25 UASC.

General Asylum Dispersal Scheme

The Home Office is asking local councils to take asylum seekers, whose legal status and rights to services differ significantly from those of refugees. The council's Cabinet approved Herefordshire's voluntary participation in the General Asylum Dispersal Scheme in December 2017, which could see up to 40 asylum seekers being housed in the county.

Those eligible for the General Asylum Dispersal Scheme are considered to have a legitimate claim for asylum after initial screening, but are unable to support themselves. The Home Office provides them with accommodation and a living allowance, while their claim is considered, however they do not have access to public funds and are unable to work.

Your questions answered

We've received a lot of questions and offers of assistance from members of the public. To find out more please take a look at our questions and answers.

Volunteer as an interpreter

We need interpreters who can speak Arabic. If you would like to volunteer as an interpreter, please contact the Herefordshire Language Network at or visit our translation and interpreting services page.

Volunteer your time

If you'd like to help refugees settle and integrate into Herefordshire's communities, please visit the Herefordshire City of Sanctuary website. Herefordshire City of Sanctuary is a voluntary group seeking to create a culture of welcome and belonging in Herefordshire.

To better understand how you can support refugee families, take a look at Refugee Action's What sort of help might a recently arrived refugee need (PDF).

Terms and definitions

There's often some confusion between the different terminology relating to refugees and asylum seekers. The Refugee Council offers an explanation in its terminology glossary and top 20 facts on this topic.

Contact us

If you'd like to know more about getting involved, please email