Doctor, dentist and opticians


When you are in care we will make sure that you are registered with a doctor. When you move you might need to think about whether to change your doctor if they are too far away. Your personal advisor will be able to advise you about where your local doctor’s surgery is and about how to get registered.

You must register with a doctor (GP) so that you can see them when you are sick. Doctor’s surgeries should make information about their services easily available to their patients. Most practices have a practice leaflet available – please ask for one.

You have the legal right to choose a GP practice that best suits your needs. The GP practice must accept you, unless there are reasonable grounds to refuse you - for example, if it has no capacity to take on new patients.

If you have problems registering with a nearby GP practice, contact NHS England’s Customer Contact Centre.


When you are in care we will make sure that you have regular appointments for a check-up with a dentist. Once you have left care it will be up to you to take responsibility for having regular check-ups. If you move or want to find a new dentist it can be difficult to find an NHS dentist.

If after contacting several dental practices you still can’t find a dentist accepting NHS patients, you should call NHS England’s Customer Contact Centre on 0300 311 2233.

If you think you need urgent care, contact your usual dentist as some practices offer emergency dental slots and will provide care if clinically necessary.

You can also call NHS 111, who can put you in touch with an urgent dental service.

Do not contact your GP, as they will not be able to offer urgent or emergency dental care.

Only visit A&E in serious circumstances, such as severe pain, heavy bleeding or injuries to the face, mouth or teeth. If you’re not sure whether you should go to A&E phone NHS 111, who will advise you.


You should have your eyes tested at least every two years and more often if you are advised to by your optician.

Eye tests are free if you are aged 16-18 and in full-time education. If you work and have to use computer screens a lot then you are probably entitled to an eye test paid for by your employer.

If you need glasses you will be given a prescription. You don’t have to buy glasses from the optician who tested your eyes. Once you have your prescription you can go to any glasses provider.

Contact the 16+ care leavers team

Your personal advisor will give you their phone number for you to contact them directly. If you need some urgent advice or support, please contact the 16+ duty worker using the details below.

Address: 33-35 Union Street, Hereford HR1 2BT
Office open 8.45am to 5.15pm Monday to Thursday or 8.45am to 4.45pm on a Friday

Telephone: 01432 261626

Send Email