Kickstart Scheme - information for employers in Herefordshire
The government has launched the Kickstart Scheme which provides 100% funding for employers to create new 6-month job placements for young people (age 16-24) who are currently on Universal Credit and at risk of long-term unemployment. All of the costs are covered by central government.
The scheme provides a great opportunity for local employers to expand their workforce at no extra cost - while providing young people with vital work experience to help them find longer term employment.
The Kickstart Scheme provides:
- 100% of the relevant National Minimum Wage for 25 hours a week
- The associated employer National Insurance contributions
- Employer minimum automatic enrolment contributions
- £1,500 per job placement, available for setup costs, support and training
Eligible organisations and businesses
Any organisation, regardless of size, can apply for funding. The Kickstart scheme will offer first placements from November 2020, and run until at least December 2021.
The job placements created with Kickstart funding must be new jobs. They must not:
- Replace existing or planned vacancies
- Cause existing employees or contractors to lose or reduce their employment
Additionally, the placements:
- Must be for a minimum of 25 hours per week, for 6 months
- Must be paid at least the National Minimum Wage for their age group
- Should not require people to undertake extensive training before they begin the job placement
Each application should include how you will help the participants to develop their skills and experience, including:
- Support to look for long-term work, including career advice and setting goals
- Support with CV and interview preparations
- Supporting the participant with basic skills, such as attendance, timekeeping and teamwork
Once a job placement is created, it can be taken up by a second person after the first successful applicant has completed their 6-month term.
Apply to the Kickstart Scheme
There are two ways to access the Kickstart Scheme as an employer:
- If you are an employer able to offer a minimum of 30 placements, you can apply direct to the scheme.
- Smaller businesses / organisations can collaborate as a group, with a representative organisation applying on their behalf.
Herefordshire Council recognises that the majority of businesses in the county are micro or small enterprises. We are therefore happy to help coordinate applications from such businesses, to enable you to access the scheme.
If you would like to participate in a group application, please email email@example.com stating your contact details and how many placements you would like to offer, and we will be in touch as soon as possible.