Keeping livestock

To keep livestock (sheep, cattle, goats and pigs) you need a County Parish Holding number from the Rural Payments Agency, please call them on 0300 0200 301.

As well as a holding number, every holding with livestock must register each species kept with the Animal and Plant Health Agency on 0300 0200 301. When you register, you are issued with a flock number for sheep and goats or a herd mark for pigs and cattle. The flock or herd marks are a quick and effective way of identifying the premises that the species have moved from, should the movements need to be tracked. You can find further information on the registration of cattle, sheep, goat and pig holdings on the government animal welfare pages.

To move livestock you will need to apply for an animal movement licence.