Change your child's first name

Once you have registered a birth, you can change the baby's name during the first year, should you wish to. The new birth certificate will show the original name and the new name. This costs £40.

If you would like to change a child's name outside of the first year, you will need to complete a deed poll form. More information can be found on GOV.UK - Change a child's name page.

If your child has been baptised with a different name within 12 months from the date of birth registration, you should register the baptised name. This is known as a 'space 17'. You will need to contact us to get the correct documentation for the minister of the church where the child was baptised to complete. You should then make an appointment to submit the completed documentation at the register office.

If more than 12 months have passed since the date of registration, you will need to provide documentation to prove that the change of name took place within 12 months of the birth registration (for example a medical card).

The new birth certificate will show the original name in space 2 and the new name will be added in space 17.

For further information see the Citizens Advice website or a solicitor.

Register office contact details

Please email us to book an appointment and be sure to include your phone number.

Address: Registration Service, Herefordshire Register Office, Town Hall, St Owen Street, Hereford HR1 2PJ

Telephone: 01432 260565

Send Email