Hereford Transport Package
The Hereford Transport Package includes the proposed Hereford Bypass and improvements to the city centre for people who walk and cycle. It is a key infrastructure project that will:
- Improve local and regional connectivity by providing an alternative route to the existing A49 through the city
- Encourage new business and job creation by making Hereford a more attractive place to locate with improved road connections and more reliable journey times
- Enable the delivery of future housing and educational development, attracting people to live and study in the city
- Reduce the impact of accidents and breakdowns on the city’s roads by providing an alternative crossing for the River Wye
- Reduce the impacts of transport on air quality and noise within the city, and improve road safety
- Encourage healthy lifestyles by improving public spaces and encouraging more people to walk and cycle
The Hereford Transport Package, is identified as a priority within the council's Economic Vision, Local Plan Core Strategy (LPCS) and Local Transport Plan (LTP) and also within the Marches Strategic Economic Plan and Midlands Connect regional transport strategy.
July 2018 update – Approval of preferred route for Hereford bypass
In January 2018, the council’s Cabinet approved a short-list of route corridors for the bypass and a public consultation on these and proposals for improvements to walking and cycling in the city was undertaken during February and March.
Based on technical work and the public consultation feedback, more detailed reports were produced which recommended the red route as the preferred route.
The council's General Scrutiny Committee called in the decision for ‘pre-decision scrutiny’ on Wednesday 18 July 2018, where they considered the proposals and recommendation before it went to the Cabinet meeting. The committee were able to support the proposed red route based on the evidence presented.
The council's Cabinet considered these reports at a meeting on Friday 27 July 2018 where there was approval of the recommendation that the red route be taken forward for further scheme development and consultation.
You can view the report for Cabinet, associated technical reports and appendices – see below.
The audio of the meetings were broadcast live and are available at www.herefordshire.gov.uk.
- Hereford Transport Model - Report of highways surveys
- Strategic outline business case
- Reports presented to Cabinet 27 July 2018
- Reports presented to the General Scrutiny Committee 18 July 2018
- Hereford Transport Package (HTP), Consultation and Route Selection Report, Easy Read version
- FAQs HTP Feb 2018
If you would like help to understand these documents, or would like them in another format or language, please call customer services on 01432 261800 or e-mail HerefordTransportPackage@balfourbeatty.com
If you have any questions about the Hereford Transport Package you can call 01432 261800 or email HerefordTransportPackage@balfourbeatty.com